I love, love, love this soup! It’s flavorful, tomato-y and super delicious. This is such an easy recipe, you will want to make a double batch and have it all week. And it serves as a great base for any tomato based soup. You can add lots of vegetables for a vegetarian vegetable soup (I’m reminiscing about my mother opening a can of Campbell’s), beans and pasta for pasta fagioli, or lentils or chickpeas for a chowder.
- If you don’t have roasted garlic, you can use a clove or two.
- I use my vegetable broth powder instead of vegetable stock. If you don’t have any, use vegetable stock instead of water.
- I like to use homemade breadcrumbs or noochy pecans for garnish. To make noochy pecans, drop 1/2 cup of pecans and 1/4 cup nooch in a processor with some fresh parsley and pulse until crumbs.
This recipe makes 6 to 8 big bowls of soup. You will love how hearty and heart warming it is.
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups filtered water
- Breadcrumbs or noochy pecans, for garnish
- Fresh tomatoes, for garnish
- Salt, a few pinches
Dice the onions, carrots and celery. They don't have to be perfect, just the same size so they cook evenly. Remember, this soup will be pureed.
Heat olive oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook on medium until softening. Add the vegetable broth powder, garlic and stir around. Season with a pinch of salt.
Add the tomato paste and stir around. Cook until it turns darker, a minute or two.
Add the tomatoes and water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Turn off the flame and let cool for a few minutes. Carefully transfer to the blender and puree until the color turns from a dark red tomato sauce color to a light red almost orange color and the texture is nice and smooth.
Serve garnished with breadcrumbs or noochy pecans. Enjoy!