It is still winter. But today, in New York, we are turning the clocks forward today for the annual start to Daylight Savings Time. I still can’t figure out why this is necessary. Is there a petition out there to end this? I mean, the sun rises and sets each day regardless of what “time” we think it is. Can’t we just not save the daylight and go with the flow? Whatever. I digress. This post is about butternut squash soup.
I am still finding butternut squashes at the store and so I will be making this soup until it’s too hot to eat it or until the official end of butternut squash season, whichever comes first. My whole family loves this soup. It is velvety smooth from the coconut milk and super flavorful from my new favorite Sazon seasoning from Loma foods. Sazon is so delicious, yet so subtle, that it elevates this soup in the best way possible. I have more recipes with it in the works, so stay tuned.
This soup could not be easier. Chop, sauté, simmer and blend. That’s it!
- If you don’t have Sazon seasoning, get some! Order from Loma or find it at the store but be sure it is organic and doesn’t have any extra added unnecessary ingredients. Alternatively, you could try to make a Sazon mix yourself using oregano, cumin, garlic, coriander, and achiote.
- If you don’t have vegetable broth powder, make it using this recipe here or use vegetable stock for the liquid. Use homemade stock or store bought. If using store bought, be sure to check the salt content.
- I use my Vitamix to blend this soup. Use a regular blender or an immersion blender but be careful when you blend hot soup. Do it in batches, filling the contain er only about halfway, and cover the top of the blender with a kitchen towel and hold the top in place. Start slow.
The Most Flavorful Butternut Squash Soup Ever!
A super creamy and flavorful butternut squash soup!
- 1 medium size butternut squash
- 1 small onion
- 1 big carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Loma Foods Sazon
- 1 teaspoon dried vegetable powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup filtered water (or vegetable stock, see note)
- Pinch salt (to taste)
Prep the vegetables. They don’t have to be perfect, just about the same size so they cook evenly. Peel, deseed and cube the butternut squash. Dice the onion. Peel and slice the carrot and slice the celery. Press the garlic.
If you are using olive oil to sauté, add to a soup pot, and add the onions, carrots and celery. If not using oil, sauté with water. When the onions, carrots and celery have softened, add the garlic and Sazon seasoning. Toss around to coat the vegetables and cook down for a few minutes.
Add the butternut squash, coconut milk, water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the squash is soft. Use an immersion blender or pour into blender and carefully blend until completely smooth.
Serve garnished with microgreens and an extra shake of Sazon. Enjoy!