Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookie? I do! For me, they are iconic, the perfect cookie. And, I love my classic chocolate chip cookies, but right now my husband is not allowed to eat wheat but he still wants cookies. What is a girl to do?
Experiment! That is what this blog is about after all. I spent some time in the kitchen working out this recipe and I have created such a good cookie that it rivals my old school classic! These little beauties are made with almond flour so they are wheat free. I use maple syrup for sweetener and Hu Kitchen chocolate which uses coconut sugar. So let’s review. They are wheat free and refined sugar free. That makes them essentially calorie free. Just kidding, well not really. They are so good and healthy too!
- I use Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour. I have not tried other brands but from what I have read, Bob’s texture is very specific so other flours may not work or will turn out differently.
- Be sure to scoop the flour and press it down into the measuring cup. That way you get the whole amount you will need.
- You can make these without the almond butter. They will be denser and drier but just as good!
- The darker the maple syrup, the darker the cookies will turn out. I use golden maple syrup which is why they are so light. No worries, dark syrup is just as pretty and tasty!
- I have made these in both gas and electric ovens. They turn out slightly different. The cooking time is about the same but they seem to spread out a tiny bit more in a gas oven.
- I prefer to bake these on a light colored sheet tray so they come out a nice light color. If you bake on a dark tray, they will come out darker. No biggie, just fyi!
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Wheat free, refined sugar free, delicious chocolate chip cookies!
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Hu Kitchen Simple Dark Chocolate Bar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter (preferably homemade)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (I like maple vinegar)
Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
Combine the almond flour, bakng soda, and salt in a big mixing bowl. Chop the chocolate bar into shards. Add to the bowl.
Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla and vinegar. Use a fork or whisk to mix it well. I like to do this in a 2 cup measuring cup!
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
Use a 1 tablespoon ice cream scooper and drop the cookies onto the baking sheet, leaving a little bit of space. About 12 cookies will fit nicely on half sheet.
Press the cookies down just slightly with the palm of your hand.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!