I am so happy to post about this new book, Naturally Lean, by Allyson Kramer! I had the opportunity to be a recipe tester. What a great experience – from the recipe testing website, to communicating my thoughts to Allyson, to the recipes themselves. This book is full of super easy, short-ingredient-list, healthy, and tasty recipes.
And I have TWO copies to give away!!
*** THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER! THANKS FOR THE GREAT EMAILS ***
Allyson uses a lot of almond flour – as a thickener, as a coating instead of breadcrumbs and for her parmesan sprinkles (recipe below!) She also uses a lot of lime juice for flavoring and brazil nuts. Allyson makes a point of making oil free recipes so there is a lot of baking not frying. All of the recipes are surprisingly simple and really really good. Sometimes I can only get one or two recipes out of a cookbook – but in this book – I like all of them!!
My favorites include the beautiful Dilly Avocado Toast from the front cover which is flavored with white balsamic. Allyson’s Favorite Oatmeal is a thick morning dish made with nut butter and bananas. The super creative Cinnamon Bun Milkshake which is such a great idea, it is the liquid version of the classic and packed with nutrients. The Lemony Lime Chia Pudding is a surprisingly refreshing twist on the usual chia pudding. There is cute little Popcorn Tofu coated with almond flour and 2 different recipes for raw nut cookies.
I could go on and on but you need to get your own copy! If you don’t win one of the two I have to give away, order one for yourself. You will be happy you did!
To enter, send me a note at lisasprojectvegan @ gmail dot com by end of day today and tell me why you should be the owner of one of these books. US and/or Canadian residents only!
And now here is a sample of the recipes.
This little gem of a recipe couldn’t be any simpler. Made with almonds, lemon zest, and nutritional yeast, this powerhouse flavor enhancer is a much-loved addition to the pantry. Keep a jar on hand for an easy flavoring for popcorn, or a lovely garnish for a pasta dish—you can sprinkle it on virtually everything from salads to soups to roasted potatoes.
Zest of 1 large lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1 cup almond meal
1 ⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Place all the ingredients in a jar that has a lid. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds. Stir and shake again. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Yield: 20 SERVINGS
Per serving: 38 CALORIES | 2.5 G FAT | 176 MG SODIUM | 101 MG POTASSIUM | 2.4 G CARBOHYDRATES | 1.3 G FIBER | 2.2 G PROTEIN
Cheesy Chili Sweet Potato Fries
There’s a lot to love about these fries. Not only are they made with sweet potatoes, which boast a high amount of vitamin A and a decent amount of fiber, but they also require no frying! Therefore, they’re simple to make, and as good for you as they are good to gobble up.
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large, long, tubular potatoes)
2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil
3 tablespoons parmesan sprinkles
1 teaspoon ground chili seasoning, or to taste
1 ⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Peel the sweet potatoes, if you wish, and then slice into slender strips resembling French fries. The easiest way I’ve found to accomplish this is to first cut the sweet potato in half across and then slice the halves into three or four flat wedges.
2. From there you can cut them into ½-inch- wide sticks. Transfer the sliced sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl and toss with the coconut oil to coat.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the Parmesan Sprinkles, chili seasoning, and paprika. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes and then arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and crack the door open ever so slightly.
5. Let the sweet potatoes remain in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until crispy. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce
Yield: 6 SERVINGS
Per serving: 210 CALORIES | 3.3 G FAT | 212 MG SODIUM | 1268 MG POTASSIUM | 43.1 G CARBOHYDRATES | 3 G PROTEIN
Excerpt from Naturally Lean: 125 Nourishing, Gluten-Free, Plant-Based Recipes—All Under 300 Calories by Allyson Kramer. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Press, an imprint of Perseus Books, a division of PBG Publishing, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.